Scooteney Reservoir closed due to toxic algal bloom
Children and pets particularly susceptible to microcystin
Last updated 8/10/2020 at 4:01pm
BASIN CITY — Scooteney Reservoir is closed due to toxic levels of algae.
The Benton-Franklin Health District ordered the closure Monday, Aug. 10, due to the level of microcystin.
Ingesting the toxic algea can cause jaundice, shock, abdominal pain, weakness, nausea, severe thirst, rapid pulse and death, officials said. Animals and children are more susceptible; symptoms take 30 minutes to 24 hours to appear.
Officials suggest keeping children and pets out of the reservoir water until tests show the algal bloom back at safe levels.
The microsystin bloom is expected to be presented for about a week.